Jonathan Brandis Forum

For Fans of Jonathan Gregory Brandis (April 13, 1976 -- November 12, 2003)
It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Leornardo Dicaprio?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:44 am 

Those wonderful Windows buttons at the bottom of the keyboard shut off my computer about halfway through my post...so let's see if I remember it.

Leo is actually pretty sharp, but he was a young man with a huge talent in Hollywood, surrounded by people who told him whatever he wanted to hear.
That can mess with anyone's head. Still, he seems to have come through it relatively well.

Jonathan admired and respected him and said that he deserved whatever came to him. It helped that they weren't in competition for Star Wars, of course.

CheddarMonster, what did those same people say about their director, James Cameron? From what I know (and have heard) Leo was a positively mature young gentleman compared to the behavior of Cameron on and off set, particularly in regards to the way he treated his brother and others close to him (and still acts that way.) Dealing with that sort of personality could put anyone on edge.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:43 pm 

Well, Jon was right of course. And today, Leo is far more likeable to me than back then. And of course, I can name other young stars of that era who had worse.... er, ego stroking issues.

As for James Cameron, well... I noticed people tended to be circumspect about him, to various degrees. It was kind-of a feel of "you don't wanna know", if I remember correctly. And I didn't really think to ask at the time, either.

As a director, the man is good. No question of that. Really did his work on historical accuracy, in fact he's pretty sharp on history subjects in general. However, I can't add to whatever you've heard any more than that, sadly. But I will recommend going to Amazon Instant Video & watching that ep of Mythbusters James Cameron was on, about the myth of whether Jack could have survived WITH Rose.

You've got a friend in me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:25 pm 

No aspersions upon the man as a director - or any questions about his incredible luck (he's bankrupted every business he's ever started...until recently.) He is definitely an incredible director with an impressive track record of amazing achievements, film and technology. I'm already in line for his next film - sight unseen.

But I don't think I'd like to work for (or with) him.
Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:31 pm 

one other young actor from the 90s other than leo who worked with James Cameron was Edward Furlong in Terminator 2: Judgement Day. Any of you guys know if Jon knew him or met him?

Last edited by spiderduck1985 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:21 pm 

I don't have a problem with Leo. He's a good actor and certainly should have had an Oscar by now. The way he mentioned Jon's death in that interview once rubbed me the wrong way- the tone didn't seem appropriate to me. But otherwise, he works hard and seems to stay out of trouble. Certainly doesn't seem interested in settling down, though!