Jonathan Brandis Forum

For Fans of Jonathan Gregory Brandis (April 13, 1976 -- November 12, 2003)
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:57 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I'm in LA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:13 pm 

AdamK wrote:
Jonathanfanboy wrote:
Most cabs take credit cards though. I paid most of my purchases in LA with credit card.

True but that wasn't entirely my point. My point was I was glad I had some spare cash from my spending spree of 2 weeks...lol

You had money left?
My hometown wasn't doing its job!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:06 pm 

irrelevant wrote:
You had money left?
My hometown wasn't doing its job!

And I never told Jeff I kept a spare stash either :) But he still did get me to spend around $400 at Fry's!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:51 pm 

*heh heh* Yes, Fry's is our last attempt to separate travelers from their money. As I recall, they did their job quite nicely by you, Adam! (Jonathanfanboy resisted the temptation, I'm afraid...but we'll get him next time! And then we'll introduce you both to Amoeba Records!)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:11 pm 

Well I'm not that geeky when it comes to technology. I'm more of an anime and scifi lover. We did got to little Tokyo in an attempt to find things I wanted. They did have some saint seiya action figures from Japan. I checked the retail price and its the same as the site I usually go to but they had none of the ones I wanted nor that bluray I was looking for...

I was actually hoping to find a store filled with Jonathan Brandis pinnups and photos alas there were none. (My wallet is thankful for that one)

I did have a blast though. I've started to pay the bills and am slowly saving up for next time(whenever that will be)

Showing up for the 10 year anniversary would definitely be a plus but we will see how things unfold...

PS: pictures coming soon.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:47 am 

irrelevant wrote:
*heh heh* Yes, Fry's is our last attempt to separate travelers from their money. As I recall, they did their job quite nicely by you, Adam! (Jonathanfanboy resisted the temptation, I'm afraid...but we'll get him next time! And then we'll introduce you both to Amoeba Records!)

Actually Amoeba Records did take a bit of my money around $50 if I recall, I have a Technics SL1200MK2 turntable here at home so the sound quality on vinyl easily rivals and in some cases sounds better, than a CD. For vinyl with the odd scratch in it, you can put it through the computer these days and remove the scratches quite easily, without sacrificing the remaining audio quality.

For those not in the know, the turntable I mention is still used by DJ's to this very day, and was widely used by radio stations back in the 1980's as it was, and still is, the best turntable out there. Only recently did Panasonic, the makers of the turntable in Japan, cease producing these.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:06 pm 

AdamK wrote:
...For those not in the know, the turntable I mention is still used by DJ's to this very day, and was widely used by radio stations back in the 1980's as it was, and still is, the best turntable out there. Only recently did Panasonic, the makers of the turntable in Japan, cease producing these.

For those younger than...Adam or myself, a turntable takes a piece of soft vinyl, and then by dragging the hardest substance known to man, recreates sound. :seeingstars:

Does it sound like there is something wrong with this technology? Unfortunately, as Adam will attest, the sound response with a CD is compressed, and digital sound has little gaps in it's 125,000 bits of info per second. Records, on the other hand, Do have greater sonic range - but a lot of the low end is machine rumble and the top part is screeching and surface noise.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:07 pm 

irrelevant wrote:
For those younger than...Adam or myself, a turntable takes a piece of soft vinyl, and then by dragging the hardest substance known to man, recreates sound. :seeingstars:

Does it sound like there is something wrong with this technology? Unfortunately, as Adam will attest, the sound response with a CD is compressed, and digital sound has little gaps in it's 125,000 bits of info per second. Records, on the other hand, Do have greater sonic range - but a lot of the low end is machine rumble and the top part is screeching and surface noise.

Actually, the SL1200's have practically ZERO machine rumble noise, and only a very slight bit of noise from the stylus going across the vinyl. If adjusted and set correctly, there is practically no distortions in both upper and lower frequencies. So those kids in the late 70's and in the 80's didn't miss out on decent quality audio...if their parents could afford the proper turntable that is.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:04 am 

My mom used to listen to records while she cleaned the house. I kind of miss that.