Jonathan Brandis Forum

For Fans of Jonathan Gregory Brandis (April 13, 1976 -- November 12, 2003)
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:02 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:35 am 

Hi all,

If you're reading this, then the site has been successfully migrated and upgraded. This means:

* The servers operating system has been upgraded to the latest version of Ubuntu Linux (from RedHat Enterprise Linux). This was done to enhance security. Strange how a paid version is actually less secure than the free version one might ask...but yes, it actually is. Ubuntu uses more recent versions of software that have had all the nasties covered, RedHat gets very old versions of software and attempts to plug leaks. That said, Ubuntu has a better chance of staving off any hacking attempts.
* The databases for the main website, these forums and the gallery has been upgraded from MySQL version 5.1 to MySQL version 5.5
* The web server that drives the main website, these forums and the gallery has been upgraded from Apache version 2.2.15 to Apache version 2.2.22

Currently everything is now running on a physical server instead of a virtual one (e.g. there is an actual separate computer running the above rather than software on a much larger server). I haven't determined which will work best for all of us yet, but I will leave things on the actual/physical server for a few weeks and will monitor things. That said if I see slowdowns on the physical server then I can very, VERY easily migrate us back to a virtual server, without anything more than a few minutes of downtime. If there's no slowdowns caused by the server then I'll just leave it be.

If you have made any posts in the past TWO HOURS, based on the time/date of this post, may find that post is missing, and you'll need to re-enter your post. For any huge posts with photos etc, please inbox me as the post will be on another server and I can retrieve it from a backup or from the actual server.