Jonathan Brandis Forum

For Fans of Jonathan Gregory Brandis (April 13, 1976 -- November 12, 2003)
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: We're moving!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:04 am 

Adam and I are moving the site to its new home. The website may go offline temporarily. Thanks for your patience.

Post subject: Re: We're moving!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:09 am 

For those of you who are interested, the entire site and forum is moving over to my servers over here in the land of oz :)
The site gets to meet Dorothy, Tin Man and other wonderful people as a result of this move!

The biggest win here is that the site will not cost our webmaster a single dime/cent/penny/whatever.

Sadly, the current web provider is wanting a full 12 months of payment up front -- this is a rather unacceptable situation so we've been forced to bring this move forward to today.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:27 am 

Just an update on this folks.

The current web hosting provider appears to like the pain of extracting teeth -- it has taken almost 24 hours to do a backup of the entire site as they seem to think that 20KB/sec is just fine for speed. Not in this day and age it's not!

Anyway, I will be making an attempt to move us across during the USA night tonight.

Adam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:14 am 

That mileage check will be ENORMOUS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:46 pm 

Okay folks so the core part of the forum is back online -- just missing the avatars and some icons etc. Oh and the banner.

I am working on these now; these should come back up in the next hour or 2 as I restore all of the images and there's a few attachments in there as well.

Please send me a private message, should there be some other stuff that is wrong that affects yourself only. Otherwise for board wide things you can let me know via this thread :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:08 pm 

Let me be the first to thank you, Adam, for everything you've done (DO!) for Jonathan's memory and his continuing legacy.
If ever there was a super-brain behind the Brandissian Army, it's you.
(and Christopher slept through the whole thing!)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:32 pm 

Thank you for the kind words! :)

There is a bit more yet before I wrap up the forums move, but it looks like pretty much everything is now in place.

Known issues:

* The banner image. This is being worked on and I am sifting through backups to resurrect this ASAP. *** Fixed 27/04/2012 20:02 AUS EST Found the correct banner image and applied this as well as filling in a blank space to the right ***
* A couple of the smilies are missing -- again going over the backups *** Fixed 27/04/2012 18:45 AUS EST (1 smiley is missing but not in backups, cannot restore) ***
* Some attachments might not be displaying properly -- this is due to different directory structures being used between the previous web host and my servers. I will need to manually adjust the forum source code to correct these. If there's any urgent missing attachments please send me a PM immediately with the details (i.e. the post/s affected). *** Fixed 27/04/2012 18:44 AUS EST ***

Improvements:

* As the server can support it, additional languages will become available to users and you'll be able to post in those languages. Posts that are in English will still be in English, however, the forum cannot translate English posts into other languages based on your language settings. *** 46 new languages are now installed on the server -- users can select their preferred language in their User Control Panel ***
* Compression -- this means that the server can deliver the same content to you with less data being transferred across the Internet. It also serves partially as a form of encrypting your shared information between you and the forum -- which increases security for us all.
* Forum upgraded to phpBB 3.0.10 from 3.0.9 which provides some feature enhancements.
* Upgraded avatar size limit to 60KB (up from 20KB)
* Increased maximum Private Message mailbox size from 300 messages to 600.
* Forum can now also be accessed via the following direct addresses: http://forum.jonathanbrandis.us http://forums.jonathanbrandis.us http://forum.jonathan-brandis.org http://forums.jonathan-brandis.org

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:03 pm 

I've also updated my avatar :) I still have the original somewhere from the old site but figured it was time for a small upgrade anyway :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:05 am 

Well?
Here I am with my balloons and noisemaker, (and a really tipsy koala) and I seem to be the only one in line for the parade.
Maybe I missed the bus to Kalgoorlie? Wangaratta? Borroloola?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:56 am 

Looks like it's just you and me irrelevant :) There's a few guests also browsing, but otherwise...