Jonathan Brandis Forum

For Fans of Jonathan Gregory Brandis (April 13, 1976 -- November 12, 2003)
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Book to screen
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:33 pm 

Debs1980 wrote:
I've seen the first couple of series of Smallville but there were a lot of people slating the later series and saying it was too far-fetched. Always makes me laugh when they say that about these type of shows. He's meant to be an alien with super powers who's flying around the earth saving people and defeating bad guys who also have strange and unusual powers. Wasn't that far-fetched enough for them? :D

"But the people need a hero!" ;)

Far-fetched I can deal with. Huge build-ups to a fight that never happens or only lasts 30 seconds just ticks me off though.

Smallville was actually a good series, for the most part, til they decided to be dumb and kill off the main baddie. It made the finale that less entertaining to me when they had to contrive a way to bring him back (they cloned him).

By the way, I wanna be able to fly in space. I wanna explore the galaxy. Superman doesn't even need a space suit.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:47 pm 

You might have to wait a while before the discover a way for you to do that. Right now I think you'd just go squish :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:47 pm 

Off the top of my head:

The Godfather (brilliant movie and book)
Jaws (They made a great movie out of a so-so book)
Harry Potter (I prefer the books but the movies aren't bad)
Carrie (decent book, decent movie)
To Kill a Mockingbird (the book is one of my all-time favorites and the movie with Gregory Peck is pretty good)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:39 am 

autumnwinds wrote:
Off the top of my head:

The Godfather (brilliant movie and book)
Jaws (They made a great movie out of a so-so book)
Harry Potter (I prefer the books but the movies aren't bad)
Carrie (decent book, decent movie)
To Kill a Mockingbird (the book is one of my all-time favorites and the movie with Gregory Peck is pretty good)

I agree with you when it comes to Harry Potter. I think I prefer the first 2 movies(especially the 2nd one) as far as adapting the books goes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:50 pm 

I agree. I would have to say that the first movie is one of my favorites in the series. The atmosphere, music, script, etc, is just spot-on. My least favorite would have to be Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (part one). Just a filler, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:49 am 

autumnwinds wrote:
I agree. I would have to say that the first movie is one of my favorites in the series. The atmosphere, music, script, etc, is just spot-on. My least favorite would have to be Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (part one). Just a filler, in my opinion.

Yeah I agree, but I guess it had to be done to set the scene for the second part. I'm a bit worried the Twilight ones will be the same...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:14 am 

Interview with a Vampire. when that came out I grabbed my copy and was able to read along :) it was AMAAAAZING. currently in 2013 i am waiting for The Host to come out at the end of the month I swear to someone if they screw the movie adaptation of that book up like they did the twilight series I will never watch another movie ever again. (probably not true but hey it sounded good)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:32 am 

I think I probably already mentioned "Woe to Live On", which was turned into the film Ride With the Devil (with a certain blonde actor playing Cave.) The screen adaptation is so close to the book that you could literally read along with the script!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:39 pm 

They're remaking Carrie. I'm scared.

Saw The Hobbit recently. I loved it, but it felt a lot like rewatching Lord of the Rings, which is why I'm fairly certain Peter Jackson will get shafted on Oscar nods this time around.

Also, being the Stephen King nut that I am, I'm psyched they're doing "Under the Dome" as it was probably my second favorite King book ever. And I'm also terrified that it's gonna fall flat on its face.