Jonathan Brandis Forum

For Fans of Jonathan Gregory Brandis (April 13, 1976 -- November 12, 2003)
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Book to screen
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:32 am 

I wouldn't say that there's anything wrong with the Kubrick version for what it is. I had just finished reading the books when I watched the movie so many years ago and I remember not liking it as much as I'd hoped to. I know I didn't like the idea of Tony living in the kid's finger rather than being an actual apparition. I got to watch the tv version as it was aired and I am pretty sure I found it a lot more frightening and a lot more accurate to the book. Didn't King himself write the teleplay for the miniseries because he was dissatisfied with the movie? That could just be rumor. I think most people probably do prefer the movie.
And in honor of the day: :) %%-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:15 am 

Not only was King dissatisfied with the screenplay of the film, he was legally banned from saying anything about it. Such was his vehement hatred of Kubrick's disaster that he even tried to buy the rights back. King wrote a screenplay, but Kubrick insisted on doing it himself - and had no idea how to make a horror film, from the setting, to the lighting, to the acting - and direction.

The Shining soured me so much on Kubrick that I can't watch any of his films. They are cold, misogynistic, misanthropic, lifeless and ugly. the Shining was a joke - simple as that. Jack Nicholson pretending to be a Warner Brothers cartoon only made the thing sillier. (And, since Kubrick insisted on doing hundreds of takes, that's apparently what he wanted.) Thankfully, later the same year, The Changeling came out and redeemed horror films.

King's own version (yes, he wrote the TV version, had a role in it and was executive producer) is an example of the *six-hundred pound gorilla, though, with far too much influence and power. It's too long, needed severe editing, and, because of the restrictions of television, was pretty gutless. The book is one of the most terrifying ever written, and the films, both of them come across as weak sauce in comparison. The one redeeming factor in the TV version was (and lots of people got upset at this) the ending was quite different from the book. King, by the time the TV film rolled around, had been a father and knew that no father could ever do what Jack does in the book.

*Q: Where does a six-hundred pound gorilla sit?
A: Anywhere he wants!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:21 am 

See, now I'm gonna have to go read the book again and watch both adaptations of it.

I think The Shining might be the only Kubrick film that doesn't bore me to death (see Eyes Wide Shut for a snore-fest).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:31 am 

Will anyone kill me, if I say I love Kubriks 2001: A Space Odysee and were impressed by A Clockwork Orange? :-ss

Ivi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:03 pm 

I'm pretty sure there are strict rules about not killing on these forums. I don't see much judgment going on here, even if you have strange taste in movies. (I kid, I kid!) :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:09 am 

MelonCat wrote:
I'm pretty sure there are strict rules about not killing on these forums. I don't see much judgment going on here, even if you have strange taste in movies. (I kid, I kid!) :D

:D Thank you so much! :D

Ivi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:47 am 

A Clockwork Orange is a perfect example of the material truly suiting the director: cold, vicious, misogynistic, ugly and lifeless - just what the film needed.

2001, a Space Odyssey was very pretty, but absolutely meaningless in the long run, and I used to LIKE that film and gave it every advantage for years and years. Then I realized that, even being the sci-fi geek that I was, it was just...dull.

Cam Archer...Ah, there's a name I'd hoped I'd never hear again... Need a hatchet job done on your favorite actor?
Remembering Jonathan Brandis, the YouTube video, was done specifically as an answer to his film "Forgetting..." Forget HIM, if you want someone to forget...and leave the mother out of it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:29 am 

I feel a little bad for looking this guy up, but since I have no idea what the heck you guys are talking about, I was curious. I pray I never have to see it, based on what people are saying of it.

I did find this gem of a quote from a review on said docu-BS-flick: If you want to pay respect to the departed Mr. Brandis, forget this movie and pray Archer stops himself before he feels compelled to unleash “American Fame Pt. 3.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:13 am 

I can see why.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:03 pm 

The thing I've noticed about documentaries (well, a lot of them, not ALL of them) is that they just don't care about the truth. Movies and such based on actual events have so much creative license taken with them that when you watch it, you have to keep in mind that a fair amount of it is stretched truth or just flat out lies. It's about making it sell, not basing it on the truth.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next