Jonathan Brandis Forum

For Fans of Jonathan Gregory Brandis (April 13, 1976 -- November 12, 2003)
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Book to screen
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:14 am 

they are working on The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

i think it will be on screen in december...

I always will remember you by real good moments. – Christian Wunderlich

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:15 am 

here is a trailer to the new one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf9Xl84b9Wo

I always will remember you by real good moments. – Christian Wunderlich

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:14 pm 

You know, I could never get into those books or the movies. Seemed too religious for me ( I am obviously not). Because there is a lot of things under the surface that hint at religion. Or I could be wrong here.

I love you man. You're my friend.~ SeaQuest
http://www.youtube.com/user/itsfairymagic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:17 pm 

You're not wrong, but it's not straightforward. That's what I meant when I said in an earlier post that they'd have to explain a few things cos some of the writing is a very poorly concealed religious viewpoint.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:09 am 

I have to say that I like the more recent Narnia movies than the really old ones that were made. (It think they were like TV specials or something. They were so terrible. I hated them.) I only really got into the first two books. After that I got sad because Susan and Peter weren't there anymore. I adore Skander though who plays Edmund. :) He's so adorable.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:37 am 

cool! a new movie =3 I thought the second one about prince caspian has been a bit ... well, boring at times. I hope the new one will be more interesting. I don't mind the actors being changed. for me it's all right.

by the way is it wrong for me to ask for recommendations of further fantasy books like narnia for example?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:50 am 

They took The Stand from King to movie, 4-parts-series. I think it is very good made, some dialoges are 1:1.
There are more books from King, which came to screen, but I can't remember good enough of book and movie to say if good or bad. I hate clowns, so I saw IT only 2 times and never read the book ;)

I like the Narnia-movies and tried to read the books, but it doesn't work for me. Maybe it is the translation or the style of the author, I don't know. I'm as well curious how they will bring the story to end, as they already left 2 books out.

In my opinion LotR is made as good as possible. Sure Arwen has a bigger role in the movies as in the books, but Tom Bombadil for example isn't that important to the whole story, so it doesn't bother me that they left him out. I only still have to deal with the fact that Frodos' age is lost somewhere between Fran Walsh and Peter Jackson.

Harry Potter, yeah, you can argue about it. I like both, books and movies :p

And at least, I am just looking Twilight. Do I have to say more? :ymdaydream:

Edit: Has anyone read the books to Nochnoi dozor and Dnevnoy dozor (Night Watch and Night Watch 2)? How is it going for this?

Ivi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:05 pm 

ivonne-deleen wrote:
They took The Stand from King to movie, 4-parts-series. I think it is very good made, some dialoges are 1:1.
There are more books from King, which came to screen, but I can't remember good enough of book and movie to say if good or bad. I hate clowns, so I saw IT only 2 times and never read the book ;)

I liked the film versions of The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me but I'm the same - I can't remember enough of the books to say whether they missed anything. IT is a good book, much more involved than the film and with a much better ending. I felt like they'd just given up at the end of the film version - the spidery thing was so very bad! :))

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:47 am 

The Princess Bride! <3

Do comics count? Scott Pilgrim vs the World simplified the story from the manga, made some changes, and ended up being very entertaining. I haven't read the books, but I hear that most people liked the movie ending a little better.

Shopgirl transitioned surprisingly well from book to screen. I'm sure it helps that Steve Martin was both author and screenwriter. The movie is a little slow paced, but if you are interested in things dealing with interpersonal relationships, I would recommend it.

And since most people have mentioned Steven King's works, I have to toss in The Shining, but not the Kubrick version, the 1997 TV miniseries.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:47 am 

What was wrong with the Kubrick version?

To me, the '97 remake just fell flat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next